166: The Science of Addiction with Dr. Michael Hanna
Dr. Sandra Morgan and Dave Stachowiak talk to Dr. Michael Hanna about how addiction is actually a brain disease and that treating addiction is a very complicated task that involves the mind, body, and soul.
The 5 Cs of Addiction:
- Control (loss of)
- Compulsive use
- Continued Use
- Addiction is a loss of control and continued use despite negative consequences.
- Addicts already know it’s bad for them — you don’t need to convince them.
- Most addicts don’t get the high that they used to — they’re just trying to maintain a sense of normalcy.
- Addiction is not a willpower issue — it is a physiological response.
- Addiction is a disease. We should treat it like one.
- Transcending addiction and redefining recovery | TEDxBoulder
- Brain Function can Recover after a Year of Abstinence from Methamphetamine
- All in Our Heads: How the Brain Creates Addiction
Are you enjoying the show?
If you enjoyed this episode, please take a moment to subscribe or rate the podcast on iTunes by clicking here. Click here for FAQs about podcasts and how to subscribe.
Haven’t been receiving our newsletter? Visit our homepage to join today.
Contact us with questions, comments, or suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.