165: The Intersection of Substance Abuse and Human Trafficking
Dr. Sandra Morgan and Dave Stachowiak discuss the relationship between substance abuse and human trafficking. They also talk about drug use among youths and the best way to prevent. They wrap up by discussing the 2018 Ensure Justice conference and explain its focus on preventing substance abuse.
- Overdoses have surpassed car crashes as the main cause of death among young people.
- The number-one cause of child abuse is a family member with a substance abuse issue.
- People use drugs to self-medicate for pain in their lives.
- The earlier kids start trying drugs, the more likely they are to develop an addiction.
- It’s important to train health-care providers how to spot human trafficking victims because 87% of trafficking victims had been seen by a provider.
- Prevention is best done through peer-led education.
Are you enjoying the show?
If you enjoyed this episode, please take a moment to subscribe or rate the podcast on iTunes by clicking here. Click here for FAQs about podcasts and how to subscribe.
Haven’t been receiving our newsletter? Visit our homepage to join today.
Contact us with questions, comments, or suggestions at email@example.com.